Thursday, April 11, 2013

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

This is the fourth book in the Outlander series by Gabaldon.  The series follows the story of a woman named Claire who time travels from post-war Europe to 18th-century Europe and falls in love with Jamie, a man in the past.

SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE PREVIOUS BOOKS.

I liked this book progressively more as I read it. Weighing in at 800+ pages, it was not a quick read, and the first few hundred pages follow Claire and Jamie as they settle in to life in rural North Carolina.  I started to feel like the story was really contrived - they had gone from Scotland to France to the Carribean to the U.S. over the past few books, and I was starting to feel like it "jumped the shark."

However, Gabaldon had some great ideas in mind and the book got a lot better.  Introduced in a previous book, Brianna (Claire and Jamie's daughter) takes a more central role in the story, as she continues to research her parents' story in the past.  Her love interest, Roger, is also prominent in the story.  It was nice to have a new set of characters to root for along with my old favorites.

I had bought this book with plans to read it around the baby's birth - I ended up starting it before she was born and the picking it up when she was about two months old.  The next one in the series will probably be a summer vacation read for me.

No comments: