Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Panther by Nelson DeMille

Jo was reading this when she visited after the baby was born and I figured its airport-read style would be good for my sleep-deprived ever-shortening attention span.  Little did I know that she left her copy with my parents for me, and they would schlep it from Florida up to Boston.  I bought my own copy - which was a hefty 800 or so pages.

This is the next book in the John Corey series that follows the irreverent retired NYPD detective and his FBI wife Kate through their work on an anti-terrorism task force.  While it is not necessary to have read The Lion, or any of the other previous books in the series, to appreciate this one, it does make it more fun.

In this book, John and Kate (yes, John and Kate, sans Eight) go to Yemen to hunt down "The Panther" - the operative believed to be behind the USS Cole bombing that killed 17 Americans.  Teamed up with some other Americans from the CIA, they embark on a dangerous plot to draw out The Panther in Yemen, a country where they find you can't trust anyone.

I had fun reading this book.  Corey's persona can be a little annoyingly flip at times, but that's part of his charm.  The story itself was great - with lots of intrigue, great new characters, and the element of surprise.  I will look forward to the next DeMille book, the plot of which was teased in the last scene of this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

would I like this? love, hubbers