Saturday, July 06, 2013

Review: And the Mountains Echoed


And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoyed Hosseini's previous books (The Kite Runner more than A Thousand Splendid Suns) so I was excited to read this one too.

It was pretty good. It follows several interconnected families and people in Afghanistan from before the war through current times. As some family members leave Afghanistan, the narrative follows them to Paris, Greece, and the U.S., but the real story is how one decision made several generations ago continues to haunt people.

The writing was really good - Hosseini managed several voices from several characters, sometimes narrating an entire chapter by a minor character to demonstrate a particular point of view. He left clues and foreshadowing in several chapters, but deftly - such that I didn't know he was doing it until a later event occurred.

Overall, well done.



View all my reviews

No comments: