Sunday, July 28, 2013

Review: The Art of Fielding


The Art of Fielding
The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Meh. Mom recommended this book to me; I thought it was on the low side of OK. It is the story of a successful high school baseball player, the college baseball captain who recruits him, his college president, his roommate, and the relationship all these characters have.

The characters were really well-written - flawed but likeable. And I enjoyed the first two-thirds of the book, finding it a compelling story and enjoying the complexity the author created across many of the characters' relationship.

However, the rest of the book was not as good. I thought it was pretty tedious, with breakdowns and disappointments, and a few twists and interactions I just didn't find that credible. Though lauded on the jacket as a great American novel, I didn't get that from it. Just Meh.



View all my reviews

No comments: