Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In


Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book was pretty good. I read it to help solve some conflict in my personal life, and though these techniques and ideas were geared more towards business and politics, some of the concepts were helpful. It's from people who worked on Harvard's Negotiation Project.

The two things that I remember most are first, separate the people from the problem. The authors advise sitting on the same side of the table - literally - and listing out interests rather than positions. That is, what are the things that are important to you in this negotiation, not where you are in the negotiation. There are a lot of good examples that illustrate the difference between the two and I came to really appreciate it.

The second thing that I remember the most was to list out a huge brainstorm of solutions before negotiating. Just come up with every possible idea and solution and make a big list of them and don't eliminate anything to start. Very helpful.

Interesting read.



View all my reviews

No comments: