Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran


Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran
Honeymoon in Tehran: Two Years of Love and Danger in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This book made my list from the New York Times, and I read it in the Adirondacks this summer. It's another one I wish I could give 3.5 stars to - pretty good, but not great.

Moaveni is am Iranian-American journalist who returns to Iran to cover the rise of the new president, Ahmadinejad. While there, she meets another Iranian-American, falls and love, gets pregnant, and gets married (in that order). This book is a combination of a memoir and a journalist's view of what was going on in Iran during the early 2000's.

I enjoyed the parts of the book that were memoir more than those that were historical or journalistic. I was most interested in learning about the political climate in Iran though Moaveni's experiences, rather than through the dryer journalistic sections. Iran once again became extremely conservative and ruled by strong religious leaders, and her depiction of her own personal civil liberties lost on a daily basis was far better reporting than any of the other sections she wrote.



View all my reviews

No comments: