Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Review: Maya's Notebook


Maya's Notebook
Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I don't know why I've been so intimidated to read something by Isabel Allende - she's been on my "I should read something by her" list forever. Well this was one I found on a Barnes and Noble trade paperback table and I ended up really liking it. It had great plotting, nuanced characters, and (thwarting my worst fears) absolute readability.

The story is about Maya, a young woman who is raised in her grandparents' home. She ends up as a troubled teenager, in with the wrong crowd, then suddenly in the middle of a dangerous world of drugs and prostitution. To help her escape, her grandmother sends her to a remote island off the coast of Chile, where Maya begins to rebuild her life.

This was a book I was reluctant to put down because it was so compelling, starring a damaged but compelling main character. Also - I'm no longer afraid of Allende. :)



View all my reviews

No comments: