Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Review: The Night Circus


The Night Circus
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I tried with this book - I really did. The premise was cool - a strange circus that arrives unannounced and only operates at night. The circus is actually the site of a decades-long competition between two rival magicians' proteges, which they are only somewhat aware of. The setup was so interesting that I was eager to read the book.

It just got too darn weird for me. Too much supernatural and fairy-tale, not enough character development. I spent half of the book convinced that two female characters were the same character, which didn't make my experience any better, but did make me feel like I was right about character development being lacking. The ending seemed like a cop-out with minor characters suddenly having major parts.

The author, I recall reading, sees herself as a crafter of modern fairytales. If that is the case, she did a good job with that genre - i just didn't care for it.



View all my reviews

No comments: