Sunday, July 24, 2016

Review: The Boston Girl

The Boston Girl The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a wonderful book. It followed a young woman in the early 1900's whose Jewish family was living in the North End of Boston. Her family was fearful of America and its influences, but she takes her love of books and learning and parlays it into a more modern and full life than what her parents have to offer. I'm sure part of what I liked about the book was that it is set in Boston, but I also loved the descriptions of things like her dates, her apartment, and even her clothing, meals, and friendships. It was a good view of what my grandparents' lives may have been like.

The only criticism I have is that it was written as if it were a grandmother telling her grandchild about her childhood, so it had a reasonably simple conversational style. But that also made it easy to read. I definitely enjoyed this.

View all my reviews

No comments: