Sunday, October 02, 2016

Review: Heroes of the Frontier

Heroes of the Frontier Heroes of the Frontier by Dave Eggers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book had the unfortunate fate of being what I read after A Little Life, so I have to take that into account. Even so, I wasn't a huge fan of this. It was about a woman who takes her kids and flees her "normal" life (which is falling apart) for the wilds of Alaska, with no discernible plan. Throughout the story, details of her childhood are revealed, and there is a lot of inner monologue building her character. That aside, the story didn't seem plausible nor did the climax actually seem climactic. Eggers' writing was, as usual, amazing and compelling, so I enjoyed the process of reading it but didn't get much out of the book overall. I miss the Eggers of Heartbreaking Genius.

View all my reviews

No comments: