Sunday, October 02, 2016

Review: When Breath Becomes Air

When Breath Becomes Air When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another book club pick. I had heard about this book - an unfinished memoir by a young neurosurgeon diagnosed with incurable cancer - but hadn't been attracted to read it. One of those book club benefits when you read stuff you weren't planning on. I really liked this. I expected it to be very sad, and indeed the story is sad, but the author isn't writing a dirge. He writes of how he decides to become a neurosurgeon, what his relationship is like with his wife, and what his plans are for the future. Then once diagnosed, he chronicles his disappointment, treatment, optimism, and his family's support. I enjoyed it without feeling too sad reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments: