Sunday, November 30, 2014

Review: Benediction


Benediction
Benediction by Kent Haruf

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I was excited when I saw this book, I hadn't known that [a:Kent Haruf|16266|Kent Haruf|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1309205400p2/16266.jpg] had written a third book in the [b:Plainsong|77156|Plainsong (Plainsong, #1)|Kent Haruf|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388200586s/77156.jpg|1402373] series, the first of two of which I really enjoyed.

This one didn't hit the mark for me as much. While there were things about it that reminded me of the first two - the same small town, a few of the same characters, small things happening to people that are written about in a profound way - I didn't like this one as much. I found it to be too sappy in some places, and some of the characters doing thing that were too unlikely in others. His other books have a way of drawing a character without too much detail but the right details that paint a picture, and this one didn't do that for me either - I often couldn't picture the characters, even what they were like mentally.

I'd like to read some of his other books and see what I think, but as a follow up to Plainsong and Eventide, this was a disappointment.



View all my reviews

No comments: