Saturday, November 29, 2014

Review: Everybody's Got Something


Everybody's Got Something
Everybody's Got Something by Robin Roberts

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Let me start by saying - Roberts herself is a five; it's just this book that is a three. I first learned about Roberts at last year's Mass Conference for Women, where she was a keynote speaker. Familiar to those who watch Good Morning America, she is also a cancer survivor, a former ESPN anchor, and an all-around nice person. She was also reasonably well-known for her coverage of Hurricane Katrina, which involved her search for her own family members, as well as her coming-out upon her most recent remission from cancer.

So my issue with this book wasn't Roberts, or any of her life decisions. In fact, I think she's a pretty amazing woman, and I enjoyed reading some of the backstory of the major events I knew about her. What I was missing in the book was any reflection, or commentary. It was a lot like reading a log of what happened to her and only a small amount of what she felt. It wasn't that she didn't share, or didn't divulge what she was feeling at different times, but it was more that she had so many stories to relate that she didn't leave herself enough space for reflection.

That said, I did enjoy reading it, and as someone who doesn't watch GMA, it did make me into a Robin Roberts fan nonetheless.



View all my reviews

No comments: