Sunday, November 30, 2014

Review: Sycamore Row


Sycamore Row
Sycamore Row by John Grisham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



It happens every time I read a John Grisham book - I forget how much I enjoyed the last one and how good he really is.

This book is about a case where the main lawyer is the same one from [b:A Time to Kill|32542|A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)|John Grisham|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1390195915s/32542.jpg|1804929]. While I didn't remember very much about that book (other than liking it) this one provided enough background to set the stage for the story. In this book, a black maid becomes the only heir to a rich white man's estate, and Jake Brigance (the underdog lawyer from the last book) gets assigned as the attorney for the estate. The book follows Jake as he figures out how to deal with the deceased's children, whether the maid is trustworthy, and eventually what to do about the clear racial issues that surface in the situation.

As usual, this book was eminently readable, familiar but not predictable, and filled with colorful characters, both savory and not.



View all my reviews

No comments: