Friday, November 27, 2015

Review: Secrets of Eden

Secrets of Eden Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really like Bohjalian - and that made this book a little disappointing. I think that if this had been a different author, I may have given it four stars.

It was about a minister, and his relationship with a woman in his congregation whose husband killed her and them himself. At first a novel, it becomes a mystery, as it becomes apparent that the crime scene may indicate something different had happened. Meanwhile, the minister forms a close relationship with a self-help author who, as a child, had parents whose deaths occurred in the same way. She befriends the victim's daughter.

I expected more from the author - this was too melodramatic, with too predictable a plot, for my taste. I also didn't like the main character enough to side with him - he was pathetic rather than sympathetic.

View all my reviews

No comments: