Thursday, November 01, 2018

Review: I Will Not Fear: My Story of a Lifetime of Building Faith Under Fire

I Will Not Fear: My Story of a Lifetime of Building Faith Under Fire I Will Not Fear: My Story of a Lifetime of Building Faith Under Fire by Melba Pattillo Beals
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

You'd have to be a monster/racist to dislike a memoir by one of the Little Rock Nine - the students who integrated the Little Rock, Arkansas school system under the watch of the National Guard. And I was touched by Beals' story - I hadn't known many of the details of the situation, in fact, I believe I had an image from an 8th grade text book of a little girl entering the school as the entirety of my knowledge of it.

That said, it was disorienting to me how much Beals spoke about God and faith as the reason for her overcoming so much adversity. I kept wanting to shake her and say - YOU did that, God didn't. But I guess that's the thing about faith. It's not like I don't read faith-based authors regularly (see Anne Lamott, Jen Hatmaker, etc), but this was different. I admire Beals, of course, and I also wonder what it is like to have that style of faith.

View all my reviews

No comments: