Thursday, November 01, 2018

Review: Love, Africa: A Memoir of Romance, War, and Survival

Love, Africa: A Memoir of Romance, War, and Survival Love, Africa: A Memoir of Romance, War, and Survival by Jeffrey Gettleman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I saw this book at the MIT bookstore and it piqued my interest. It's about a young reporter who decides to focus on east Africa, a volatile and scary part of the world. At the same time, he falls in love with a woman, and spends years trying to balance both desires with each other. The book was very well-written and fascinating - I particularly liked the descriptions of his time in Africa. That said, I found him as a human to be very selfish and childish. His expectations of his girlfriend were ridiculous, and unreasonable. It made me like the book less, although that's not a comment on how it was written or the flow of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments: