Saturday, March 14, 2015

Review: Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed


Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed
Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed by Glennon Doyle Melton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Meh. I really like Glennon - I read her blog regularly and really enjoyed her TedX talk. She's obviously a very strong person whose vulnerability and transparency are both very generous. (She is known for being a "Mommy Blogger" but her life was dominated for many years by eating disorders and drug abuse until finding out she was pregnant and hurriedly marrying her boyfriend at the time.)

I guess the thing about this book was that there wasn't that much new in it. As someone who has read a lot of her posts and essays, I didn't find a new part of her story or a new angle. It was more of a collection of her best essays, or her best stories, and perhaps some new ones, but nothing thematically new. It was also a bit more religiously oriented than her other stuff seems to be, which I didn't really mind but didn't do anything for me either.

I'm still a big fan of hers, and grateful for her writing, but there wasn't anything special about this book.



View all my reviews

No comments: