Saturday, March 14, 2015

Review: Songs Without Words


Songs Without Words
Songs Without Words by Ann Packer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This book was fine. Packer's debut novel [b:The Dive From Clausen's Pier|16059|The Dive From Clausen's Pier|Ann Packer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1390408629s/16059.jpg|1617177] set the bar so high for her it would have been difficult for anything to stand up to it. This book was compelling enough to want to finish and I invested in the characters, but writing the review a few weeks later I can barely remember a lot of the details of it.

The story follows two lifelong best friends from adolescence through adulthood. As children, one of them loses their mother to suicide, which defines and cements their relationship. As adults, their lifestyles are very different - one a wife and mother, the other remaining single. A large portion of the book explores what happens when tragedy strikes again - as adults.

I'd probably read Packer's next book because this one did hold my attention, but if you're looking for something that is of the caliber of Clausen's Pier, this isn't it.



View all my reviews

No comments: