Saturday, March 14, 2015

Review: Gold


Gold
Gold by Chris Cleave

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I really enjoyed this book. [b:Little Bee|6948436|Little Bee|Chris Cleave|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344401905s/6948436.jpg|4126074] remains one of the most haunting books I've ever read, and this was not that impactful, but the story was really compelling and I looked forward to my commute when I could continue reading it.

The story is about two friends who are both olympic-caliber cyclists. They have a long and complicated friendship while competing with each other over many years, and the book alternates between present time and history to build the story. One is married, with a daughter who becomes very sick, and this impacts her dedication to racing. The other is a lifetime loner whose entire life is about cycling. As the book goes on, the relationship between the women, as well as with the married one's husband and daughter, and their coach becomes more complex.

What I really liked about this book was how Cleave unfurled the story - similar to Little Bee, there were secrets and twists and things that weren't revealed right away, which built characters across multiple dimensions.



View all my reviews

No comments: