Saturday, March 14, 2015

Review: Pigs in Heaven


Pigs in Heaven
Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I really enjoyed reading this book. Silly me, however, I didn't notice that it was a sequel to [b:The Bean Trees|30868|The Bean Trees (Greer Family, #1)|Barbara Kingsolver|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1362981087s/30868.jpg|1095121], which I read long enough ago that I didn't really remember it. I may have liked it even more if i had re-read that first, although this was pretty great as a standalone book too.

The story follows a woman and her adopted daughter who are involved in a newsworthy situation that lands them on Oprah. This publicity arises the attention of a Native American rights attorney, because the daughter is Native American, and she begins to investigate the circumstances under which the girl was adopted. Naturally, they turn out to be hazy, and a custody trial ensues, but the plot is far from predictable.

As usual, Kingsolver has created a universe seemingly effortlessly of 360-degree complete characters, tough decisions, and thorough scenery. I find her to be one of those authors whom I don't remember to read enough of, then delight myself by re-finding.



View all my reviews

No comments: