Sunday, February 11, 2018

Review: Beartown

Beartown Beartown by Fredrik Backman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing! I had seen it on some end-of-year lists, and didn't realize it was by the same author as A Man Called Ove, or I wouldn't have read it so soon after that book. A good thing, as it turned out, because I really loved it.

The story takes place in a small town in Sweden that is quickly losing its youth, its industry, and its middle class. All its hope is placed in the success of their local kids' hockey team, which, should they win the championship, would bring a major hockey training facility (as well as related industry, tourism, and hope) to the town.

Into this drama Backman carefully places several complex characters, both coaches, owners, and boosters, as well as players and kids who wish they were players. Each characters has a strong, well-developed back story. The plot has some predictable turns in it, but overall the book is *so* well-written and so well-thought-out that they are easily forgivable.

Think a Swedish Friday Night Lights, but with hockey...

I can't wait for the sequel to come out.

View all my reviews

No comments: