Sunday, February 25, 2018

Review: Exit West

Exit West Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really, really liked this book, another one from Don't Mind the Mess. This takes place in an unnamed country in the Middle East, where headstrong Nadia and gentle Saeed fall in love just as a war breaks out. After surviving in their war-torn city for a while, they find an opportunity to leave, which leads them to numerous other options in different parts of the world.

Partially a love story, and partially a meditation on how places can change us forever, this book was extremely well-written and inventive. It reminded me both of Blindness and The Underground Railroad, which, if you've read both of those books, may be leaving you scratching your head as to how a book can remind me of both of those. This only speaks to its quality and to its uniqueness.

View all my reviews

No comments: