Saturday, February 17, 2018

Review: This Is How It Always Is

This Is How It Always Is This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a lovely book - timely, and complex, and lovely. The story follows a family of six, the youngest of which is a boy who declares in his early elementary years that he is a girl. The family, in as progressive and honest and well-meaning way I can possibly imagine, gives her the space to be a girl, while helping her navigate school, friendships, and, eventually, impending puberty. Knowing the author is the mother of a transgender child allowed me to trust the characters more than I would have otherwise; I fell in love with both of the parents in the family, wishing I had married either or both of them myself.

Each book like this and each article about this begins to thaw the idea of transgenderism, which I believe to be the next frontier in equality and acceptance. This was a great leader in that canon.

View all my reviews

No comments: