Monday, February 05, 2018

Review: Her Body and Other Parties

Her Body and Other Parties Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I saw this on NPR's end of year list. While I don't usually read short story collections, I saw that Roxane Gay had recommended it, so I decided to give it a try. It was a really unusual book. Each story was about a woman, and there were typical themes like marriage, lost love, and relationships. What was unusual was that each story also had some sort of magical realism or science-fiction component. Like most short story collections, the quality of them was somewhat uneven; I really liked a few and found others less accessible. That said, I enjoyed reading the collection as a whole, particularly enjoying the surprise of some of the magical realism.

View all my reviews

No comments: