Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Review: We Are Never Meeting In Real Life

We Are Never Meeting In Real Life We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Samantha Irby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went into this book blindly, based just on a review from Roxane Gay and a blurb from Lindy West. I found it to be harsh and had a really hard time with how much the author seemed to loathe herself. I related to some of her rants and feelings, but found some of them unrealistic.

Then, about five essays in, I realized it was actually a book of humor essays. Doh! That enabled me to enjoy the rest of the book much more - laugh at her critiques and cringe-worthy antics, and appreciate her use of humor as social commentary. I'd definitely read something else by her, and I'd probably appreciate it more, knowing it was humor all the way through. Her deft use of humor to attack racism, body-shaming, chronic illness, and sexuality makes her quite a force in modern social critique.

View all my reviews

No comments: