Friday, March 02, 2018

Review: The Twelve-Mile Straight

The Twelve-Mile Straight The Twelve-Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was great - I love when that happens with a book I just find at the library, rather one that is recommended to me. This was about a young woman who gives birth to two babies in Georgia in the 1930's, one black and one white. After accusing a black field hand of rape, he is lynched and she and her family are thrown into the middle of the aftermath. The book tells both the history of many of the characters and their families, as well as what happens to them once the babies' parentage is discovered.

I am surprised this book wasn't heralded more. It was well-written, with developed characters who had intricate back stories, a great depiction of time and place, and a compelling plot.

View all my reviews

No comments: